Carl Sandberg referred to Chicago as the “city of big shoulders” in his famous poem about the city. Supported on the “big shoulders” of their laboratory family, ASCLS is encouraging laboratorians to give themselves the gift of professional growth by attending the Annual Meeting in the city in the summer of 2018. ASCLS is willing to help.
Being held from July 29th through August 2nd, this year’s program offers attendees a total of 16 P.A.C.E.® approved CE hours in a variety of disciplines such as administration, clinical chemistry, hematology, immunohematology, microbiology, and safety. Popular programming features that were retained include dedicated exhibit hours at the Clinical Laboratory Expo, and President’s Reception followed by the Afterglow Party. In addition, efforts have been made to enhance informal learning opportunities during downtime where small group conversations can lead to memories that last a lifetime.
There are several new and enhanced programming features including:
- The Awards Ceremony has been moved to earlier in the week based on attendee feedback.
- Modifications of the governance schedule to ensure maximum efficiency of conference space and members’ time. These modifications allow for the majority of the governance meetings to take place on Sunday.
- A dedicated meeting space for First Timers & Students to interact with professional annual meeting attendees to learn how to navigate the annual meeting. This dedicated room will be open all day so novice and professional annual meeting attendees can casually meet and mingle throughout the day.
- More “lunch on your own” opportunities to ensure attendees have ample time to network with colleagues and enjoy the fine dining options available in downtown Chicago.
- A dedicated coffee hour with the electoral candidates including candidates for Student Forum and New Professionals and New Members Forum.
Write down and save the discount code “BigGift_AM_2018” and use it to save $25 off your registration during the Early Bird registration period that begins April 1st. It’s our gift to you.
Prepare to Explore Chicago
The Swissotel, overlooking the Chicago River just a few blocks away from the shores of Lake Michigan, will serve as host of this year’s meeting. You will be within walking distance of week’s worth of site seeing.
Enjoy lows and highs, from walking along one of Chicago’s 26 beaches and enjoying cool lake breezes against the summer heat, or leaning out of the Willis Tower Skydeck, 1,353 over the city skyline in a glass box on the building’s 103 floor. Grant Park, which features the world-famous Bean sculpture and other massive public spaces will be within “hearing” distance as it hosts Lollapalooza beginning on the last day of the Annual Meeting.
Twenty-five Chicago restaurants earned a total of 33 Michelin stars this year, but Chicago is much more than fine dining with ready access to Chicago-Style Hot Dogs, Deep Dish Pizza, and Italian Beef. The city is a melting pot of ethnic influences scattered in neighborhoods throughout the city from Italian to Mexican to Greek and everything in between, all within a short Uber ride from the hotel.