The 2020 Clinical Laboratory Educators Conference (CLEC) was held February 27-29 in Orlando. We saw 620 registered attendees, which breaks the registration record for the fifth straight year. In addition, we had 25 industry partners, and the ASCLS Education & Research Fund raised nearly $2,000 for scholarships with its Silent Auction.
For the first time, CLEC offered a New Educator Workshop (NEW) to address the needs of those new to educator positions in clinical laboratory science-related programs. Nearly 80 people participated in the workshop, which was very well-received:
- "As a new educator myself after spending 22 years in the National Health Service, this was by far one of the most useful sessions that I attended."
- "I learned a lot! I also felt comforted knowing everyone else was in the same boat as me and I wasn't alone in the journey as a new educator."
- "It really helped me to realize I don't have to know everything right away and it will be okay."
CLEC 2020 included 25 poster presentations. You can view digital versions of posters that are available as PDFs, and watch Teresa Wolfe's virtual presentation of her poster, Integration of the Centers for Disease Control Competency Guidelines for Public Health Laboratory Professionals into a Medical Laboratory Training Program.
Here are a more comments from attendees about their experience at CLEC 2020:
- "It was great to get new ideas and see new equipment and then have time to discuss new ways to improve our program."
- "It brings all the laboratory professional educators together giving us an opportunity to learn from each other. Also, it allows us to see others' strengths and struggles in maintaining a successful program."
- "I love CLEC and try to go every year I get a chance. I always learn lots about teaching that I am able to take back to my school and my students, and I love networking with new educators as well as educators I tend to see many years in a row."
- "The sessions were amazing and the descriptions with handouts helped tremendously at being able to determine which session I wanted to attend."
We've already begun plans for CLEC 2021, which will be held in Denver, Colorado, February 25-27, at the Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel.
You can submit program ideas and proposals for the 2021 meeting by May 15. All confirmed speakers will receive a registration discount, so send in your ideas and join us in Denver next year!