First awarded in 1977, Omicron Sigma is the ASCLS President's Honor Roll for Outstanding Service. It provides lasting recognition of those dedicated members who volunteer their personal resources, time and energy to the ASCLS. Recognition is at three levels: national, regional, and constituent society. This allows constituent society presidents, regional directors, and the ASCLS President to recognize members for outstanding service.
Eligibility: The nominee must be a current member of ASCLS as of December 31.
Nominations: Please do not nominations until you have received the Excel form from the ASCLS President if you are a Regional Director and from your Regional Director if you are a Constituent Society President. This will prevent duplication of nominees. Email the form and all questions to the ASCLS Awards Committee at email@example.com. Nominations may be made by:
- The ASCLS President who may nominate up to 100 members for national recognition. The President will email his/her nominees to the Awards Committee as well as to each of the Region Directors.
- Each of the ASCLS Regional Directors who may nominate up to 15 members from their region for regional recognition. The Directors will submit to the Awards Committee and to their constituent society presidents, along with the ASCLS President's list. Do not duplicate nominations named at the national level.
- Each of the ASCLS constituent society presidents who may nominate eight (8) members, plus one additional person for every 50 current society members over 400, based on membership figures as of December 31. The presidents will submit to the Awards Committee. Do not duplicate nominations named at the national and regional levels.
Award: All nominees receive a sticker at the ASCLS Annual Meeting. The Awards Committee will attempt to process nominations by March 31 to allow for recognition at spring meetings of constituent societies.
Nominations deadline for the ASCLS President: Feb. 1
This list of nominees is emailed to the Awards Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org AND Regional Directors.
Nominations deadline for Regional Directors: Feb. 15
This list of region nominees is emailed to the Awards Committee at email@example.com AND the Regional Directors' respective Constituent Society Presidents. Regional Directors also should provide the ASCLS President's list of nominees, to constituent society presidents.
Nominations deadline for Constituent Society Presidents: March 1
This list of constituent society nominees is emailed to the Awards Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Calculations for constituent societies:
- The number of members is based on ASCLS alpha membership list figures for each society as of December 31 of the previous calendar year.
- Divide the total number of members over 400 that appear on this list by 50.
- Any fraction may be rounded up to the next whole number, i.e., 405 members divided by 50 = 8.1 = nine nominees.
- Contact the ASCLS office at email@example.com if you have not received your alpha list in time to make your nominations by your March 1 deadline.
- Check the Dec. 31 membership roster to confirm membership status of nominees and membership number. Non-members will not be considered.
- Submit member's name as it appears on the ASCLS membership roster. Do not use nicknames. If a nominee is not on the master membership list, the committee will not consider the nomination.
- Provide the full name of the constituent society/state in which the nominee is a member. This is important for Regional and National nominees.
- Submit the nominee's ASCLS member number in the space provided.
- Provide a brief explanation of the contribution to be recognized.
- IMPORTANT: Use the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet that is passed down from the ASCLS President to the Regional Directors and then to the Constitutent Society Presidents to submit your nominees. The ASCLS President will receive the Excel spreadsheet from the Awards Committee
- The ASCLS President typically sends a personal letter to his/her national nominees. It is the responsibility of the Regional Directors and Constituent Society/state Presidents to notify their members of the region/state level nomination. The ASCLS Awards Committee will not mail letters to these individuals.